Tuesday, November 8, 2011

In the middle of eternity...

Mortality hits someone like a ton of bricks, whether it is you faced with your own passing or someone that has always been there since day one of your life. It has hit me and my family quick and hard this last month as our most loved and cherished grandpa Don aka Donald aka the don father has passed on to the other side, a joyous time for him I am sure as he is reunited with grandma Shirley once again. I am sure he even had a joke to tell everyone else who was there welcoming him home, and I am sure even the Lord chuckled just a little bit. The embraces and reunions on the other side are sweet and yet it is bittersweet to all of us still here, in the world. And the world seems a little less like home now that grandpa isn't here to tell us we are looking well or to stay sober. However, I do know this. Families are eternal. My grandfather didn't die today, he just merely passed on. And while the goodbyes are hard and somber, I know it is not final. Much like it was when I left on my mission. It was hard and painful to say goodbye but we knew it was only for a time. It is the same now as my grandpa passes through the veil and sees my grandma and says "Shirley, it sure is good to be with you again."

But for us in the meantime, I know we wish for communication, comfort and guidance. We wish for visits here and there. We just wish for them, in anyway, shape or form we can reach them. And they will be there, in the middle...

Grandpa...



Will you meet me in the middle like you said?

When I find that girl who I just can't help but love with all my heart. The one who will be to me what grandma was to you.. Will you be there? I hope I can tell you how special she really is, because we know she will have to be saint to put up with somebody like myself (I know you are laughing right now). I hope I can tell you everything about her and everything we have planned. I hope you are there to listen and smile. So will you meet me in the middle then like you said?


Will you meet me in the middle of the night?

I know life will get tough for me at times because that is just life. But I knew life was never too bad to not appreciate a joke and to appreciate the fact that things get better and if you can laugh, life is not that bad. So for when the times do come that the seas are rough and I seem to stumble, will you meet me in the middle of the night for a joke, a laugh and the comforting words "love ya kid." Will you meet me in the middle of the night then? (And make sure to bring grandma with you too, she makes you look better)


Will you meet me in the middle of the road?

I know right now there are tears on our side, a lot more than there are on the other side. Death is something that will come to all, it is all a door we must go through when the time that the chapter of mortality comes to an end. So when the time comes for each of us that we pass, will you meet us in the middle of the road?

In every passing, in every celebration, in every thing that awakes our souls, something is always constant: Family.


In the shade they will bring you home...


In the waves they will guide your boat...


In the grave they will meet our souls...

Yes, we will all meet in the middle someday.

And in the mean time, I at least have the knowledge that God is a loving father that wishes only to bless and enrich us. How do I know this? Because I had Don Binns for a grandfather. And for that I am eternally grateful. I was able to have him there for some of my most cherished moments in life, and I know he will continue to be there to smile with me when good things come my way and there to put his arm around me when life gets tougher than expected. He isn't dead, he just has simply passed on, moved away, and I know he will visit and keep in touch. That's just the way he is.

And I will continue to be grateful for all my family, immediate and extended.
For they are all that matters... Family isn't just everything, it's the only thing.

These things I know:

The Lord is good
My family is eternal
The soul is eternal, the body is mortal
That love can communicate through any barrier
That the purest form of love is found in family

I know these things to be true, because Heaven most likely looks like this...



Then shall the virgin rejoice in the dance, both young men and old together: for I will turn their mourning into joy, and will comfort them, and make them rejoice from their sorrow - Jeremiah 31:13

The sorrow is temporal
The joy is eternal
The joy is family...

Eternally,

The son. grandson. brother. nephew. cousin. a grateful member of an eternal family.



I can't help but think of the reunion that happened today when I hear these songs...




4 comments:

  1. Oh I am crying....thank you for thoughts. What a comfort...I love you, bud. And we are all better people because of the love and influence of Grandpa Don.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful tribute. I am so sorry for your loss, death is truly one of the hardest parts of life; but, the knowledge of eternal families is what pulls us all through. May you and your family find peace in the arms of our Savior.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emma Karen... thank you for your condolences and thank you for reading. It is joy to know people actually read and listen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully stated my son. You have masterfully put to words what is felt by many that Grandpa Don's life has touched. Thank you for taking the time and thoughtfulness to share this gift with us all....Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete