Friday, December 23, 2011

Christmas in Watauga

Yes, this is the obligatory holiday post. The one about the joys and lows of the Christmas season and after standing in line forever at a Target in Hillsboro, Oregon, all I can think is about how ready I am for every store to return to norm.

I was reminded of my favorite Christmas tonight as we had the missionaries over for desert and a Christmas message (if you are wondering what I am talking about with the whole missionary business click HERE). It was that kind of Christmas where you remember everything about the day. From the moment you wake up to the moment your head hits the pillow. I remember it so clearly.




I was a full time missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I was serving in the Fort Worth Texas area, but for the specifics of the story, I was living in a small apt in North Richland Hills and serving the Watauga Ward. My comp was Elder Bunch (I called him Badunkabunch for kicks). The night before we had pulled our mattresses out into the front room to sleep by our 2.5 or 3 foot tall Christmas tree. Our families had so lovingly sent us present via the U.S. postal service. I got a sweet Volcom tie from my brother, it was nice. The best present was that we got to call home. I remember that phone call home. I found out she had a boyfriend which would explain the stoppage of letters. Kind of a bummer to find out on Christmas, could of ruined it. But it didn't, that's how good of Christmas this was.

We headed to the park to meet up with the rest of the zone for a great Christmas lunch/dinner. We played football. I did mighty fine for being the QB. I kept throwin' up prayers to Elder Scott (I could have been a foreshadowing of Tim Tebow, just sayin'). We laughed and enjoyed each other and all the good things of season because our purpose that season was to only preach about the good things.

I keep on thinking of why that Christmas was so great. Nothing magnificent happened. It was simple. Maybe that is what made it so great. I wasn't distracted about what to get everyone, what to ask for, what to expect, what I should be feeling. No, that year it was all gone. There was zero time to think about myself and the greatest desire I had to was to see other people happy. To realize the reason for the season. To just serve. To give. That's all I wanted that Christmas.



We get so caught up in the good intentions of Christmas, oo caught up in the festivities and the celebration that we forget that the whole reason for the occasion is to remind us of the One who gave us everything, including life. And when I try to align my desire for the season with the reason for the season, Christmas takes on something totally different than lights and carols. Something other than department stores and home made cookies. It becomes this state of mind. The kind I wish I always had, even in July. The state of mind where my desire is the happiness of others.

And so when Christmas rolls around and things seem to be turning out like this...


If you start to realize that true happiness is never really about you. Christmas becomes simple. And even when you have to run two miles through airport terminals and board your plane soaked in sweat just trying to get home in one piece, when you eat too much holiday junk, when all the lights won't turn on on the Christmas tree, when you find out that the girl you are in love with has a boyfriend and you are a thousand miles away in the Lonestar State plugging away day in and day out to try and do what you feel is right in your heart. Yes, even after all that stuff happens. Christmas can't be beat.

Signing Christmas cards anonymously,

The mild and stumbling saint

1 comment:

  1. I love this blog. Christmas is my favorite holiday (like so many others). I love to spend time with my family and watch everyones faces as they open their gifts. It's a precious and sweet time of year. I hate that you had something tough that year. I am glad that you saw the good through it all.

    ReplyDelete