Friday, March 25, 2011

Sing like you think no one is listening...

"If you want to be completely honest, sing..."-Dan in Real Life

Music defines me. Music talks to me. I talk to music. Music is me...

I am taking American popular music this semester. It almost doesn't feel like a class, except for the midterm I had to take yesterday, which I am pretty sure I aced (not to brag or anything). I don't know what it is, but I think I may be a savant when it comes to lyrics. I can't remember anything useful, like how to do math or the structure of a cell or how osmosis works. However, I can remember very detailed things about music, like the track listing to a certain album or the lyrics to an obscure B-side. My talent: I can remember pointless things in extreme detail.

I wish I was musically talented, or at least could play or sing decently. I still daydream about rocking out on stage with my band as the crowd goes nuts. I see myself screaming into the microphone and seeing the sea of people going crazy. Twenty kids just being thrown into the air crowd surfing, and I will just stop singing and just rock out. The crowd will know every word to every song... this will forever be my dream. I just want to learn how to write those clever tunes, make a record, tour the country and the world with my band, just playing music and living the dream. I don't care if I make a single dime... I just want to experience that, just once. Just one album, just one tour, just one dream. Just give me that one dream, I will walk away from it all when it is time. I am still in my youth, let me live my dreams before I change my mind...

I am starting to gain a real appreciation for a lot of different genres of music, I think they all weave together to tell the human story. Music is a history book that anyone can contribute too, not just scholars and elites. It is the history book of dreams and nightmares, the history book of the soul.

If you ever get the chance, listen to the album The Wild Hunt by The Tallest Man on Earth. Just listen and feel... feel whatever you want.

If you want summer, listen to Hi, Everything's Great by Limbeck

If you want answers, ask

Music is my tongue, speak to me in yours...

I am open for suggestions

Please, sing to me....

A Postcard from the lost (and looking for a dream)

"Sing me something soft, sad and elegant. Or loud and out of key, sing me anything. We are glad for what we've got and done with what we've lost. Our whole lives lay our right in front of us."-Straylight Run

P.S. A recent discovery that has been discovered by a million others before I came upon it, but if your ears yearn to be soothed, listen to the album Break Up by Pete Yorn with Scarlett Johansson. I hope you enjoy as I have. Also, check out Scarlett Johansson's cover of Steel Train's "Bullet". I hope you find it worth your time...

No comments:

Post a Comment