Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mom

It is a couple hours into mothers day and my mom is sitting next to me watching the biography channel and I am writing this dedicatory post to her, she has no clue I am writing about her. She thinks I am on facebook (which is true, but this is where my concentration lies for the time being).
Mothers Day is a special day, after all it is one of two days I got to call home on my mission. That shows how important the day is, and most importantly, how important my mom is.

I have the best mom in the world but more importantly, I have the best mom for me. A lot of the time I don't need to say anything, she can tell exactly what is going on with me just from the look on my face or by the way my voice sounds. My mom knows me better than anyone.

I am also lucky to have a mom that is a mom to a lot of other people than just her kids. Her maternal instincts stretch far beyond blood lines and reaches anyone who just needs a mother figure at a particular point and time and don't have one available for one reason or another. My mom is on call 24/7 for anyone that just needs a mom.

Most importantly, I have never once ever felt like my mom wasn't there for me, and I know that in the crazy world we live in today, I am beyond lucky to have the mom I have, especially lately. The sea has been especially rough and everything before me just seems to terrify me. How grateful I am to have my mom there, to let me know everything will be fine. I think the moment that defines my mom and me the best was when I left on my mission. When the time came to say goodbye, I was more scared than I ever had been in my life. I didn't know if I could do it. I was terrified. I started crying like I was 3 years old again, I was just so scared. My mom was of course crying, cause that's what moms do, especially when they send their little boys off to help others for two years. As I hugged my mom for the last time, all I could say was "Mom, I am scared." What she said next got me through every discouragement and fear during those two years and have always been in the back of my mind whenever life gets a little more difficult than I expected. "I know you are scared, but I wouldn't let you go if I didn't think you were ready."
Those words are the only thing that could have gotten me through the door and on my to one of the best experiences of my life. I realized that day that any courage I have ever showed in my life is because my mother believed in me. No one else inspires me to believe in myself like my mom. She is the only reason I keep trying sometimes, because I know that if my mom knows believe in me, then there just might be a chance everything will turn out better than I expected.

Mom, you are my courage. Thanks for being my mom.

Grateful,

A postcard from the lost (but proud to be the son of an incredible mother)

"Mother: the most beautiful word on the lips on mankind"- Kahlil Gibran

No comments:

Post a Comment