Monday, April 18, 2011

Top tens, maybe top fives...

Sometimes I make top ten lists, just for fun. I do it to pass the time. I do it prioritize. I do it just cause. So here are some top tens, and some top fives because some lists aren't worth being having ten spots.

Top ten albums that define me (this list constantly changes and they are in no particular order, that would make this list impossible)

1. The Devil & God Are Raging Inside Me-Brand New
This album is genius and hard to listen to. It racks your soul, but that is a defining trait of great music. You keep thinking about it long after the song is over, it makes you look inside yourself. This may be my favorite album of all time. Key tracks: Millstone, You Won't Know, Archers

2.So Much For The Afterglow-Everclear
I know, its a drastically different from anything Brand New has done but you must understand where I came from. Everclear was my first legit favorite band. I had all their cds. I know the words to all their songs. Not a lot of kids my age liked Everclear or even knew who they were but I did and it made me feel cool, unique, like I knew something. Everything with me and music started with Everclear. Bless them.

3.Tell All Your Friends-Taking Back Sunday
I remember buying this cd. I had just turned 16, I was sophmore in high school. I was weird smelly teenager, awkward and was just looking for a place to fit in. I decided music was gonna be my thing. I wasn't good at any sports. I am not an artist. I still consider myself void of almost any talent. So I decided I would be that kid who knew obscure bands and didn't listen to the radio. I walked into Target that day to buy the White Stripes album Elephant. I got it then just scanned through some of the other cds. I saw this cd by taking back sunday and thought to myself "I've seen a lot of the punk kids wearing taking back sunday shirts lately. I guess this is what all the fuss is about." So I went out on a limb and bought it. One of the best random buys I have ever made and totally altered my course in music and pretty much my high school journey from there on out. Just FYI, I grew out of my emo phase a long time ago and am so glad I did. But I still love those bands, but for more nostalgic reasons. I still listen to the music of my youth.
Key Tracks: You Know How I Do, Great Romances of the 20th Century, Timberwolves At New Jersey. Basically just listen to the whole album through.

4. Stay What You Are-Saves The Day
I remember a conversation I had when I was on my mission. My buddy and I were talking about what album we would choose if we could only have one album to listen during the mission that wasn't Mo-tab or EFY p-day music. I chose this one hands down. Saves The Day is one of my all time favs and this album is near perfection. I love every song on this album. This album makes me lose track of time when I listen to it. I like that. Plus I love the lyrics, very unique and creative. Key Tracks: This Is Not An Exit, Firefly, At Your Funeral

5. Hi, Everything's Great-Limbeck
This album is summer, plain and simple. It also it a road trip album, a summer road trip album. Every song instantly puts me in a good mood and makes me grateful for friends and good conversation. If you want to bring in the summer, listen to this album and just drive. Love this album. That is all. Amen

6. Interventions & Lullabies - The Format
This album reminds me of my senior year. It was playing constantly in my ear. The songs were catchy and some of the songs had a slight twang to it. I loved it. Plus, I found out about Limbeck through the format. Good music leads you to better music, that's my theory.

7.Deja Entendu-Brand New
I remember buying this cd after hearing one song "The Quiet Things That No-one Ever Knows". I remember listening to the rest of the album and thinking "I don't get it. In fact, this cd sucks save this one song."I shelved it for 4 months. Then one day I put it in the cd player and just gave it a try. This time, I heard it as genius. Jesse Lacey writes lyrics like no other. I am glad I gave this album a second shot because it changed the way I looked at music, and basically everything else for that matter.

8. Several Arrows Later-Matt Pond PA
This album always reminds me of fall. It sounds like leaves changing colors and crisp air. If I had to list an album for each season it would be these four: Spring: Slow Motion Daydream-Everclear Summer: Hi, Everything's Great-Limbeck Fall: Several Arrows Later-Matt Pond PA Winter: Deja Entendu-Brand New

9. Something To Write Home About-The Get Up Kids
Just a good album, reminds me of feeling youthful. I like it, alot.

10. Is a Real Boy...-Say Anything
Max Bemis is one of my favorite lyricists. Very tongue in cheek. Witty. Funny. Shamefully Honest. Say yes to say anything.

Honorable mentions: Chutes Too Narrow-The Shins, Is This It?-The Strokes, The Wild Hunt-Tallest Man On Earth, Worse For the Wear-The New Amsterdams, A Rush of Blood to the Head-Coldplay, and too many others to name...

Enjoy what is meant to be enjoyed and ignore that which was meant to distress. Summer is almost here. Get ready for it...

Share your tops tens, not just music but anything...

Prioritizing,

A postcard from the lost (in the music)


1 comment: